Because the university is responsible for ensuring that all employee travel payments, reimbursements, and advances, regardless of source of funds, are fair and equitable to both the university and the traveler and that they are made in accordance with all State and University applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, and guidelines, the A&AA Fiscal Services Office has procedures to process all UO business travel related expenses.
Travel Checklists have been developed to assist travelers with reimbursement requirements in an effort to provide improved customer service to our travelers. The checklists include the basic requirements for backup documentation necessary for the reimbursement for domestic travel and foreign travel expenses. Please feel free to contact the Fiscal Services Travel Specialist with any questions you may have.
Airfare and other transportation reservations through UO contracted travel agents (see external links section) are made by:
- Arranging itinerary with travel agent
- Completing the A&AA Travel Approval form
- Submitting form and itinerary to Shoshana Cohen
Use of A&AA Procurement Card for common carrier fares (such as airline, bus and train fares - does not include taxis and airport shuttles):
- Complete A&AA Travel Approval form
- Set up itinerary with internet agency in A&AA Fiscal Services Office
- Fiscal Services staff will purchase the transportation with the procurement card
Use of personal payment for reimbursement for airfare or other transportation can be reimbursed upon completion of travel. To be reimbursed:
- Complete A&AA Travel Reimbursement Request form
- Attach proof of payment to form and submit to A&AA Fiscal Services Office. (The proof of payment may be on the itemized receipt. If it's not, include another form of proof such as credit card receipt, credit card/bank statement, or canceled check.)
Remember, a signed Travel Approval form must be provided in advance of all business travel.
Out of state travel requires prior approval by the Department Head. Use Travel Approval form for out of state itinerary, business purpose, and departmental approval.
City pairs are contracted, discounted, unrestricted, one-way fares. These contracts are for use by State of Oregon Employees for official business only. Payment must be made to the contracted travel agencies from State indexes only (foundation funds cannot be directly charged). They may not be used for independent contractors. To book City Pair flights, follow the process described above for booking flights with UO contracted travel agents.
- UO will not reimburse first class travel.
- All employees are required to travel using routes, schedules, and airlines that provide the lowest rates and most efficient travel.
- When combining personal travel with business, only the business portion can be paid by the UO. Any personal portion of the airfare will have to be paid by traveler at time of ticket purchase. (When to get a comparison airfare quote.)
- Personal payment cannot be reimbursed until trip is complete.
- Mileage reimbursement for travel out of state requires a comparable airfare quote, and mileage reimbursement is limited to the cheaper of the airfare quote or vehicle mileage.
- Travel while on Sabbatical or Leave of Absence must be approved prior to being reimbursed for travel. Submit the Sabbatical Travel Approval Request form in advance if you know you will need to be traveling on University business while on Sabbatical or Leave of Absence.
Travel Advance is a personal loan to employees based on anticipated, legitimate, reimbursable, business expenses. A minimum of $200 per person can be obtained per trip. The loan begins accruing interest between 2 and 4 weeks after the return date.
Travel Advance Procedures
- Provide A&AA Fiscal Services Office with business purpose, dates and locations, and sources of funds with approval in writing 2 weeks before your departure date to obtain a travel advance.
- Pick up travel advance at Business Affairs, Accounts Payable in Oregon Hall.
- Upon completion of travel, a Travel Reimbursement Request form for approved business expenses is completed which is automatically applied against the loan and any excess will be paid to the traveler.
- If the reimbursement is less than the loan, payment for the remainder is due with the reimbursement request.
Travel Reimbursements may be requested after you have completed a business trip. Other than standard per diem reimbursements, original receipts are required for travel expenses over $25. All reimbursement requests must be submitted within 6 months of the trip or by June 15th, whichever comes first.
Travel Reimbursement Procedures
- Submit A&AA Travel Approval form describing the trip and purpose, and submit all relevant receipts to A&AA Fiscal Services Office prior to departure date.
- After travel, submit the Travel Reimbursement Request form.
- All receipts must be original and show proof of payment
- Any conference travel reimbursements require a copy of conference brochure
- If attending a meeting, please provide meeting agenda.
- Lodging per diem does not include tax. To claim lodging tax, provide lodging receipt.
- Official conference lodging is reimbursed at actual lodging expense, and a lodging receipt with proof of payment is required.
- Car rentals are reimbursed at the economy rate unless transporting 3 or more people.
- The state provides coverage for rental vehicles if they are to be used for official business. The only reimbursable car insurance expense is Limited Damage Waiver (LDW or CDW). The Enterprise contract covers this insurance and does not need to be purchased separately.
Campus and State vehicles may be used for travel by UO employees, students and official volunteers with the approval of the department head and UO Public Safety. In addition to this approval, official volunteers on UO Business are required to have a Conditions of Volunteer Service form on file with the UO Risk Management Office.
- Complete section one of the A&AA Motor Pool Vehicle Request form
- Take form to department or grant administrator for completion of section two
- The department or grant administrator can reserve the necessary vehicle(s) and will provide each driver with a Motor Pool trip ticket. If you have already reserved the vehicle yourself, please date and initial "Date Reserved" in the shaded area on the A&AA Motor Pool Vehicle Request form to avoid duplication.
- All drivers must have possession of a driver certification card. You must have this card with you in order to receive the keys to the Motor Pool vehicle. To obtain this card, submit name, driver's license number and state of issue to the designated department personnel for motorpool. The approval process for the Driver's Certification Card takes approximately five business days.
- To be eligible to drive a motorpool van, all drivers must successfully pass a one-hour van training course prior to checking out a van. These courses are held approximately twice a month (Call the Office of Environmental Health & Safety at (541) 346-3192 for details.) If requesting a van, it is best to do so at least one month in advance. Vans are hard to come by on short notice, especially on weekends.
- For all trips out of state, the responsible employee must submit an A&AA Travel Approval form prior to the trip. Failure to do so could cause a cancellation of the trip.
- If students are reimbursing the department for the trip, they must pay in advance based on an estimate of the cost.
Motorpool/State Owned Vehicle Accidents
The renter of a motor pool or state vehicle involved in an accident must report the accident with 24 hours to the UO Risk Coordinator at (541) 346-3190.
Personal Vehicle or Rental Vehicle to University Business
Any personal vehicle or rental vehicle travel out of state will need an airfare quote included with any request for travel reimbursement. Please see the following web page for personal vehicle use policies:
Please see the following web page for airfare quote requirements:
General Travel Services site: http://ba.uoregon.edu/staff/travel
Travel Reimbursement site: http://ba.uoregon.edu/content/travel-reimbursement
Oregon Mileage Chart: http://ba.uoregon.edu/content/city-mileage-chart
Travel Procedures Quick Reference: http://ba.uoregon.edu/content/travel-procedures-quick-reference