The John Yeon Center for Architectural Studies is a program designed to foster research and an appreciation of architecture, interior design, historic preservation, art, and landscape architecture by students, faculty members, and professional architects and designers. The center is comprised of two Portland residences - The Watzek House and the George and Margaret Cottrell House.
The John Yeon Center for Architectural Studies was founded in 1995 by Richard Louis Brown with the gift of the Watzek House to the University of Oregon. The George and Margaret Cottrell House was donated in 2000 by Margaret Cottrell. The center advances Yeon's ideals and principles through research, publications, focused study groups, and the perpetual preservation of the Watzek House and garden, and the Cottrell House.
The Center revolves around the Watzek House in Portland, Oregon. John Yeon's first built project, the Watzek House was constructed in 1937 and was soon hailed by national critics as an outstanding example of modern design. The Watzek House is regarded as a pioneer of the Pacific Northwest regional style.
Situated near the Watzek House, the Cottrell House enhances the scope of activities for the John Yeon Center for Architectural Studies. Designed in 1951 for George and Margaret Cottrell, the Cottrell House is built on a wooded slope and has a more vertical layout than the Watzek House, though it shares many of the same spatial characteristics.